MEd 3.0 - A TaeRichEdit Component
MEd started out as a simple replacement for
WordPad. It turned into a monster....
There were no complete RichEdit 2.0 components when I began
the project and precious little information beyond
Microsoft sample programs. Eventually, the code
developed for MEd became the basis of the TaeRichEdit
Component. And a while after that, the Component
became the basis for a new version of MEd.
I originally wrote MEd
because I wanted WordPad to do a few more things, or do
them differently things like:
- Support multiple undo/redo and other Rich Edit 2.0+
- Open multiple documents using a tab control document
- Recognize binary files and display them as hexadecimal
- Be able to switch between Rich Text, Plain Text, and a
file dump view.
- Remember more than four files in the "most
recently used" file list.
- Support custom filters in the open dialog.
- Preview and print documents with headers and footers,
borders, and codes for user names, dates, filenames, etc.
- Support "page styles" that would make it
easier to select user-defined headers, footers, borders,
and so on.
- Open up a new document when a file is dropped on the
application (instead of inserting the dropped file into the
These were some of the features that I wanted, but many
more were added along the way....
I am posting this unfinished work for those curious
about what can be done with the bits and pieces of code
from this site. Be warned that MEd is really,
really unfinished. There are unimplemented menu
items (although the related toolbar buttons may work),
features that are only partially implemented, and the first
time that you run it, it will complain that the
configuration was lost (just ignore the warning).
However, I am already finding it to be a very useful
tool and thought that you might want to see the Rich Edit
2.0 control in action.
MEd Screen Shot
You may download the executable for this
work-in-progress by clicking on the link below. Since
this is an unfinished work, you are welcome to report bugs,
but please do not expect fixes. In fact, you probably
should not expect a reply, as I may be overwhelmed with bug
reports and, hey, this is just an example of
what can be done.
Before downloading MEd, please read the
- MEd uses Rich Edit 2.0 (or 3.0 if installed).
RICHED20.DLL must already be installed on your machine for
this program to operate. RICHED20.DLL is normally
installed in C:\Windows\System or C:\WinNT\System32, but
search your entire drive if you do not find it there.
- The first time that you run MEd, it will complain that
the configuration information in the Registry is not
valid. This is because coding the program to properly
check for prior installation has been a very low
priority. You may safely ignore this warning.
- There is no help file. However, the status line
shows a brief description of each menu item and button.
Hopefully, most of the menus and buttons will operate
in a familiar way.
- There is no pretty install program just extract
the program from the distribution file into a folder and
- Likewise, there is no pretty uninstall program.
To uninstall the program simply delete it. You may
also delete all of the Registry entries which are located
under \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Thin Air Enterprises\MEd
if you wish to eliminate all traces of MEd.
- You are not permitted to distribute this
program. This download is available only to satisfy
your curiosity, not for further sharing or use.
Finally, and most importantly, you use this program
at your own risk. Absolutely and without
(MEd executable only)
Last updated 04-29-2001, 560KB
Copyright © 1999-2001 Thin Air
Enterprises and Robert Dunn. All rights reserved.